Building Permit Applications
All applications must be submitted digitally.
Please follow the instructions on the Electronic Plan Submission page to apply via e-mail. This page will remain available to help clarify what is needed for a building permit application. Please call 435-755-1650 if you have any questions about submitting your permit application.
How to Apply
- Begin by downloading a Building Permit Application. Fill out this form completely, including contractor's license numbers and your Tax/Parcel number (Property Serial Number). Your parcel number can be found on your tax notice, or by using the Cache County Parcel Viewer.
- Gather all other necessary documents shown on the list below and e-mail to email@example.com in one email . Do not e-mail application materials until you have gathered all the required documentation. The building office cannot act as a filing office for incomplete application materials. Incompete applications will not be accepted and will be deleted in the que for review.
Required Application Packet Materials
The following items must be included in order for a building permit application to be processed (PDF format). Delivery of these materials must conform to the requirements on the Electronic Plan Submission page. Contact the Building Department at 435-755-1650 with any questions.
- A completed Building Permit Application form.
- An approved Zoning Clearance and Site Plan from the Cache County Zoning Office or appropriate city office.
- A completed Utility Connection Agreement. This document outlines your responsibilities regarding connecting power to the property and only required for new residential construction.
- A Manual J&D form, for HVAC system duct sizing and layout, from your mechanical contractor. Only required for new single family dwellings with a furnace and when replacing a furnance for a remodel.
- A complete set of Building Plans and specifications (PDF). All plans must include the following items:
- Floor plan with dimension of all levels, garages, decks, porches, plumbing plan, electrical plan, heating and/or air conditioning plan, etc.
- Indicate the square footage in all areas, (garage, main floor, upper levels, basement, decks, porches, etc.)
- Elevations of all four sides which indicate all doors, windows, roof, roof pitch, roof covering, exterior wall coverings, etc.
- Details of footings, foundation, walls, trusses or rafters and roof section, joist, all egress items (bedroom windows and doors, stairways, fireplace, beams, cantilevers, etc.; all cross sections).
- Engineering packet or an engineer's stamp, if needed. Please note that plans for all new single family dwellings must be engineered plans.
- A completed Owner/Builder Certification if you are doing the work yourself (Residential new construction, remodel and addition projects only, no commercial). This document must be filled out and signed in the presence of a Notary Public. We have a notary in our office if you need one.
Permit Approval and Payment
Staff will e-mail the applicant when the permit is ready with the permit fee amout due. Approval normally requires 3-10 working days for average structures. Larger commercial projects may require 30-45 working days for approval. You may call 435-755-1650 to pay for your permit over the phone with a credit card, E-check or you may stop by the office and pay with a check payable to Cache County Corporation. There is a 2.5% service fee to process credit/debit card transactions (we do not accept AMEX). E-checks may be processed for a flat $0.49 fee.
Once your permit has been paid for, you have 6 months (180 days) to begin work. If no work has commenced within 180 days, the building permit will expire and you will need pay a fee to open it back up or re-apply. Permits will also expire if work has commenced, but is then suspended or abandoned for a period of 180 days.